Are you feeling guilty about picking at your split ends? Stop stressing and start looking for a long-term solution to the problem on ‘how to get rid of split ends?’ Split ends happen whenever your hair becomes dry and frayed. These split ends can cause the breakage of your hair which makes the length almost half of its original length. Almost all of us can get split ends but women in menopause are more prone to it, as due to lower estrogen levels, the natural oil production in the scalp reduces.Thus the chances of developing split ends increase by a fewfold. You’ll learn what causes split ends and how to avoid them in this article. So do not freak out and keep scrolling!
Table of Contents
Before looking for the solution aspect, you should find out the reason behind the cause. So that you can make a well-informed decision and get the benefits.These days due to the availability of a wide range of hair care products and hairstyling techniques involving heat, significant damage to your hair can be caused.
- Do not start using any random product without any consultation with haircare experts. Even commercialized hair care products can also do damage, as all the products available in the market are not suitable for all hair types.
- Stop experimenting with different products simultaneously on your hair.
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions like heat, pollution along with the regular hair care routine can affect your hair ends too. Hairstyling by using heat, hair straightening, blow-drying, or curling can cause split ends.
- Apart from these chemical treatments, coloring, and wear and tear with age can also cause dead ends in your hair.
- Aggressive combing and tying of hair also cause damage.
- Maintaining a healthy diet is necessary for your hair growth. An unhealthy diet can accelerate split ends. A proper balance of biotin and folic acid is required for the split ends to stop.
- Continuous friction with the pillow can cause wear and tear to your hair. Instead of a cotton pillow cover, you can use a satin pillow cover to reduce the friction as satin has proven to be gentle on your hair. This is how you can prevent split ends naturally.
- Try to knot your hair neatly before going to bed at night. This way you can reduce the friction with your hair and stop split ends naturally.
You won’t be able to put your split end back together. The process is irreversible. So once these are formed, you have to cut them off. If the hair has split ends, the hair breakage will continue, resulting in no overall growth of the hair strand. By trimming the split ends, you can make sure that the damage is not progressing along the hair shaft towards the root. Multiple split ends along the hair strand make it more vulnerable to damage. You may feel that frequent trimming is not the ideal way to deal with split ends. Though in reality, due to split end trimming, your hair will get a chance to grow continuously without any breakage or loss of length. There is another group of haircare experts, who deny the positive relationship between trimming the split ends and overall hair growth.
But if you are facing the split end issue continuously, you have to consider hair trimming as an effective option to prevent further splitting.
Eager to know how to prevent split ends? Following are the instructions you need to follow if you want to avoid split hair permanently.
- Regular trimming- let the controversy be at its place. You can not deny how helpful trimming can be for your split ends. This should be on your haircare ‘to-do’ list.
- Be gentle while combing- do not comb your hair aggressively. Handle it in a delicate way. Especially after washing your hair, do not try to comb it in the first place. As the hair strands tend to be brittle during this time.
- Use a wooden comb- though many of us are habituated to using a plastic comb, we should try a wooden comb at least once. You can appreciate the result after a few weeks. The wooden comb will increase the blood circulation in your scalp while combing, thus hair strands will be healthier this way without any split ends.
- Keep your hair hydrated- you can try deep conditioning and a hair mask for the split end cure. Take the help of any professional and let them suggest the ideal hair pack for you. Deep conditioning after the hair wash can lock nourishment inside your hair follicle. It is helpful to restore the hair moisture that can improve the overall hair appearance. You can try a leave-in conditioner that will help in strengthening your hair shaft. Hence, reduce split ends and hair fall as well.
- Handle with care- do not try to rub your hair vigorously right after washing. You can use a dry towel, pat it gently along your hair.
- Detangle with a wide-toothed wooden comb- detangle your hair with a wooden comb. Do not detangle wet hair immediately after taking a bath.
- Consider using shampoo with all-natural ingredients without any harsh chemicals. Make it a habit of going through the label before buying any hair care products.
- If you can not avoid those hair styling using heat, you can use a heat-protective spray to reduce the degree of hair damage and split ends.
- Do not pick your split hair ends. Picking, peeling, or tearing them off can not solve the split end problem.
- Deep conditioning with the help of a coconut oil hair mask can replenish the lost nutrients for your dry, damaged, and frayed hair. You can use argan oil over your split ends before combing through the hair. It will help to detangle and improve the overall hair condition as well.
- And if you have wavy hair, the retro curvature makes them more fragile, likely to break, and more prone to split ends. Incorporating above mentioned tips can help you to avoid split ends in curly hair.
Split ends can ruin the overall look of your hair, you need to keep in mind to limit the styling tools or use them in lower power.
When the question is about the health of your hair, you can always reach us at Dermalife, where you can avail state-of-the-art hair care techniques and consult your doubt with our experienced experts.