What is Hair Loss?
Hair loss or baldness, scientifically termed as alopecia, refers to a loss of hair from either head or other part of the body. Hair loss often causes due to heredity, anemia, nutritional deficiencies, stress, and medical problems. Typically, hair loss occurs in the head region. Having less hair can not only let down your confidence but also affects your appearance and self-esteem. For Hair Loss Treatment in Delhi people often tends to go for PRP.
What is PRP Therapy/ Treatment for Hair?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP), also known as autologous conditioned plasma is a treatment in which platelet-rich plasma protein is derived from the patient’s own blood and concentrated to eliminate red blood cells (RBCs) from the blood. It is a three-step process in which a person’s blood is drawn, processed and then injected into the scalp. Nowadays, PRP is being widely used for the hair loss treatment.
The therapy uses an injection of a concentration of patient’s platelets to speed up the healing of injured tendons, muscles, ligaments and joints. It helps your body to grow new and healthy cells PRP contains a range of growth factors and proteins that speed up repairing of the ruptured tissues.
Purpose of PRP Therapy
The PRP therapy aims to promote healing when injected as well as to reduce inflammation. It stimulates natural hair growth and maintains it by increasing the blood supply to the hair follicle and also increases the thickness of the hair shaft. The PRP injections mainly target problems which include:
- Hair Loss: Your hair expert injects PRP into the scalp to promote hair growth and prevent loss of hair. The injections have proven to be effective especially in treating androgenic alopecia or male pattern baldness.
- Tendon Injury: PRP helps in healing this tissue and ligaments in case of injury.
- Acute Injuries: At the time of healing of ruptured tissues and muscles, PRP is effective.
- Postsurgical Repair: PRP therapy helps in healing the incision site post-surgery.
- Osteoarthritis: The inflammation caused by osteoarthritis can lead to joints becoming painful and stiff. PRP helps reduce this.
PRP Treatment for Hair Loss – Process(Step by Step)
Platelet-rich plasma therapy is a three-fold procedure. The complete procedure involves multiple sessions which take around three to six months for completion. Besides, the follow-up maintenance treatments are required every 6 to 12 months. The steps are as follows:
- Step 1: To generate PRP, a medical professional will take your blood sample and place it into a centrifuge machine. The device spins rapidly thereby, separating different components of varying densities from the blood. The separation process takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Step 2: Once the blood is centrifuged, your blood will get separated into three distinct layers viz. platelet-poor plasma, platelet-rich plasma, and the red blood cells.
- Step 3: The layer containing platelet-rich plasma is extracted and again centrifuged for 20 minutes. This second spin ensures the good quality of PRP. Now PRP is ready for injection into the affected area. In the process, injections are pierced across the scalp approximately, at around every half inch over the area of thinning hair. This entire procedure takes around 45 minutes to an hour.
PRP for Hair Loss Potential Side Effects
PRP is autologous which implies it contains a substance that is taken directly from your own body. This reduces the risk of an allergic reaction that may occur from the injection of some foreign bodies such as medications (cortisone or hyaluronic acid). However, PRP therapy involves the injection of a substance into the skin which may cause some adverse effects:
- The injection site may cause immense pain, sometimes intolerable and need to be treated through medication.
- In case the pieces of equipment are not sterilized, there might occur cross-contamination between people. Also, there are chances of potentially dangerous immune reactions.
- There may occur negative reactions to the anesthetic used in the therapy
- Mild nausea, vomiting, dizziness.
- A person may have irritation or bleeding related to the injection site.
PRP Injection Recovery
After the injection procedure, the patient may experience soreness and stiffness for two to three hours. Taking rest is recommended. Pain relief generally, starts to occur within three hours after the therapy. The symptoms show signs of improvement over three to six months following the PRP injection. One can continue with their daily activities within three hours after the therapy.
As we know, the primary aim of PRP is healing and hair restoration, immediate results may not be seen. However, in several weeks or months, one can observe hair re-growth and heal at the injection site.
PRP Treatment Cost
According to some researches, typically the cost of PRP injections can range from 7,500/- to 20,000/- per session. However, the cost may vary depending upon certain factors such as location, quality of the equipment, facilities and also, the expertise of the doctor who is willing to undertake the case. It’s always recommended to purchase PRP sessions in a package because you will get a good amount of discounts on packages.
PRP Treatment for Hair Reviews
- Internationally recognized treatment method performed by specialized medical professionals.
- Effective therapy to reverse baldness and restores natural hair.
- The treatment yields long-lasting results.
- This technique gives better results as compared to laser therapy or mesotherapy.
- The therapy is completely safe as it uses patients’ blood for injection so there are no chances of infection or allergy.
- It is a natural and non-surgical form of hair loss treatment.
- It works best for people who suffer from hair thinning problems.
- It decreases hair fall and causes thickening of fine miniaturized hair.